Help us improve
Was this information helpful?
If you are looking for help with pollution prevention and recycling/source reduction.
Pollution Prevention (or P2) is preventing or minimizing pollution, rather than controlling it once it is generated.
P2 covers a broad range of environmental concerns such as addressing climate change, managing and reducing our waste, landscape stewardship and renewable energy and more.
For years environmental protection was focused on pollution control -- cleaning up pollution after it occurred -- rather than on prevention. The control approach has serious drawbacks, including high costs and increased liability.
Sometimes when we try to clean up pollution, we just end up moving it from one place to another, such as from the air to the land or from the land to water.
- On-site business pollution prevention (P2) assistance: Provided primarily through a partnership with the Connecticut State Technology Extension Program, CONNSTEP. Non-regulatory pollution prevention walk-throughs are also available.
- Case studies on Connecticut companies: Explain existing successful pollution prevention programs and provide contacts at Connecticut companies.
- Sector fact sheets: Provide technical information on implementing pollution prevention for many sectors, including auto repair, metal finishers, dry cleaners, consumers, vo-tech auto repair facilities, printers and lithographers.
- EnergyStar: The P2 Office serves as the liaison with Connecticut businesses for this national program. EnergyStar encourages pollution and efficient use of energy by companies through partnership.
- Northeast Regional Technology Collaborative: Programs that originate in the federal Department of Energy's Office of Industrial Technology are presented through the P2 Office and include motor master, improving steam efficiency and funding pollution prevention projects.
- Community assistance: The P2 Office is working with four neighborhood organizations in Hartford to provide information on environmental issues and concerns with the goal of empowering the public to be able to effect change in their communities. The project also includes training for business and institutions on pollution prevention.
- Pollution prevention: Presentations are available for a wide range of audiences, including schools, civic organizations and businesses.
- Provides technical assistance and promotional materials for municipal and business recycling.
- Promotes recycling and source reduction through education and program development.
- Encourages recovered material market development and can provide information regarding the types and amounts of recyclable materials processed and marketed by Connecticut recycling facilities.
- Provides technical assistance on composting of source-separated organics.
Most services available to all businesses; some services limited to small or medium-sized businesses. Some grant programs require matching funds from business.